Thursday 26 February 2009

Truman Capote - Breakfast at Tiffany's

I've always loved the film Breakfast at Tiffany's - in that film, Audrey Hepburn is pretty much the most beautiful woman ever to walk the earth, so when I saw a free copy of Capote's novel with The Times a few weeks ago, I snapped it up.
What really struck me reading the book, was how well the film captures Holly, her speech, her mannerisms, and the overall tone of the novel, despite the difference in the ending. I go through different phases -one where I can believe that Holly would stay, and another where I know she'd go, so rather than being angry that the film betrays the plot of the novel, I can accept it and be pleased by it in a way. And it ends well for the cat in both versions, which is just as important.
In the version I have, Breakfast at Tiffany's is anthologised with a few short stories, which I enjoyed too, particularly House of Flowers a funny little romantic story that really caught me off guard, because it was so unconventional and offbeat.



No comments: